April 19, 2014

A Writing Tag

Found this from Musings From Neville's Navel, and it looked like fun. So... here goes.

Magic Violinist's Questions

Fantasy or Sci Fi?
It depends. I prefer writing fantasy and reading sci-fi. The world building is so much fun! But sci-fi is a lot of fun to read too, especially if the author is talented.

Male or female protagonists?
I definitely prefer writing female characters. With writing, I'm a bit more flexible.

Epic Adventures or simple, small town life?
Epic adventures. I prefer reading about dragons and warlocks and such to... high school and friendships. After all, I get to experience those in real life. Reading transports me to a new world.

Which book would somebody have to pay you to read?
Twilight. Need I say more?

What book have you read the most?
The Harry Potter series wins by a landslide. I think I'm on my ninth re-reading now.

Do you buy used books? Why or why not?
It depends. Sometimes, old books tell a story, and not just with words. They have... history. But sometimes, I want a new book to record my own history.

That probably sounded a bit odd. Oh well.

What genre would be wildly outside of your comfort zone to write/read?
For writing- Romance. I can handle romantic subplots, but as a genre... just no. I don't understand how to weave a whole story out of it.
For reading- Horror. As a rule, I don't read horror- but I do enjoy writing it.

First drafts or editing?
First drafts. I enjoy watching my writing improve through editing, but the best part is the initial flow of words, and getting them onto paper. It makes me feel like I can do anything I want.

What is your biggest source of inspiration?
Science. I enjoy twisting the amazing world around us into something even more amazing.

Do you base stories on real life experiences?
No. I do pull emotion and character traits from real life, but not stories.

Nevillegirl's Questions

What kind of music do you like to listen to while writing?
Soundtracks. They affect the mood of my writing quite a bit.

What kind of music do you not like to listen to while writing?
Anything but soundtracks. It's too distracting, especially if it's a good song.

Who or what was the inspiration for the first character you ever wrote?
I don't even remember the first character I ever wrote, so I'll go back to the first one I remember. I believe she was inspired by one of my best friends.

Do you ever have romance in your stories?
Yes, as a subplot.

What authors do you think you write like?
I don't know myself, but I've been told that I write like Margaret Atwood and Chuck Palahniuk.

Are your stories usually funny or serious?
As Joss Whedon said, "Make it dark, make it grim, but then, for the love of God, tell a joke." I think that describes my writing pretty well.

What is the best thing someone has ever said about your writing?
My creative writing teacher made predictions for the future occupations of everyone in our class. She said I would be a writer, living in a flat in Soho. That was pretty cool.

What is the worst thing someone has ever said about your writing?
I honestly don't know. I don't really pay attention to negative comments.

Why are all these questions about writing?
You tell me.

Would you rather own a castle or all the chocolate in the world?
A castle. If I owned all the chocolate in the world, that would mean nobody else had any. I'd be like the Dictator of Chocolate, and that would be horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment