April 10, 2014

Review: Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers


Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers
Runaways, Vol. 4: True Believers by Brian K. Vaughan

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



So, this one was by far my favorite of the Runaways books. Full of plot twists, brilliant character development, and some excellent artwork, it certainly deserves my five star rating.


THE ART

Not my favorite, but still excellent. The darker, rather subtle colors fit the mood of the book very well. Molly looks quite a bit older than usual, and it seems as if they slimmed down Gertude a bit, but aside from that I liked it.


THE WRITING

One doesn't usually expect excellent writing in a comic. But True Believers was quite good. Perhaps not right up there with Harry Potter, but it still beats some novels I've read. Not many, but some.

The characters, as usual, were quite well developed. I like the budding romance between Gert and Chase; as Nico says, they're "made for each other." I also like the Karolina/Nico/Alex love triangle. I don't usually enjoy love triangles, but I do like this one. Molly at times seems very immature for her age, but I felt like in True Believers, she grew up a little.

Now on the plot twists. I don't believe I've encountered this many plot twists before in a single book. Victor's past, for example. And the ending... What was with that? Has Alex returned from the dead?

OVERALL

So, that being said, I LOVED True Believers. It's one of my favorite comics so far, and certainly worth a read.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment