April 23, 2014

Elsa and Anna: Not the First

A note to my followers- A review of The Fault in Our Stars will be posted soon! I was just too busy crying my eyes out the first time around to review it properly, so I'm going to re-read it.

So. Anyway. You've probably heard the hype about "Frozen being the first Disney movie to show girls that you don't need a man to save you".


But honestly, I don't get it.

I love Frozen. Love, love, love it. It's one of my favorite Disney movies. Just clearing that up.

But... It certainly isn't the first of its kind. We're forgetting quite a few amazing Disney heroines here. How do you think they feel about it? So I'm going to list them here. Hopefully, that way, they'll get a bit of the appreciation they deserve.

Note: Please feel free to discuss your feelings on this in the comments! I'd be very happy to listen to your viewpoints, too.

Mulan. What the heck?! It's been a while since I last watched Mulan (Like, as in several years), but I'm pretty sure the whole message of the story is "you don't need a man to save you". Mulan enlists in the army, fights the Huns, and kicks some serious butt while doing so. It's even got some Twelfth Night- style romance in it, okay? So don't forget Mulan. Please.

Eilonwy. I suppose we can give poor Elionwy a pass, seeing as her movie isn't the most popular of Disney's (The Black Cauldron, in case you're wondering). But don't just totally toss her out the window. Please.


Megara. Okay. Megara isn't an official Disney princess. So what?! Megara saves Hercules. But what's more, she shows that it's okay if you need to be saved now and then. And another thing. She isn't very physically strong, but she is smart. She isn't the stereotypical wimpy-princess. But she also isn't the stereotypical femme fatale. Yet everyone seems to forget her.



Merida. My feelings on this are the same as my feelings on Mulan. Isn't the whole point of the movie that she doesn't need a man to save her? And it isn't like Merida is little known princess... This one is another what-the-heck worthy moment.



So. Those are my thoughts. Opinions, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment